“I think it’s beautiful to practice. I love to practice.”
-Claudio Arrau, pianist*
To be a musician is to be someone who practices.
Day after day, we musicians work in solitude to learn new repertoire, refine old repertoire, and polish our skills.
Most performers also rehearse with others, applying their solitary efforts in groups large and small.
The demands of daily practice prove too much for some aspiring artists, but affirmations can powerfully fuel any artist’s drive to work.
The Power of Affirmations
Affirmations are positive self-statements that can be uttered mentally or aloud. They help generate internal states that boost creativity and motivation (see “Positive Mood Allows Brain to Think More Creatively” in Science News).
In truth, the things we say things to ourselves before, during, and after practice have potent effects: “Self-talk can be positive, negative, or neutral, but it almost always has some influence on our behavior,” wrote psychologists Paul Salmon & Robert Meyer in Notes from the Green Room (p. 68).
The following 10 affirmations help generate positivity in practice. Try them during practice sessions and throughout each day to help unleash your creative energy. Also make up affirmations of your own, and feel free to share your experiences here.
10 Affirmations that Inspire Music Practice
- “I’m grateful to be able to make music.”
- “I open my heart to the richness of my musical adventure.”
- “I embrace challenges as opportunities to advance.”
- “I’m confident in my abilities.”
- “I trust in my capacity to grow.”
- “I look forward to today’s discoveries.”
- “It’s beautiful to practice. I love to practice.”
- “Music is my true love.”
- “I’m fortunate to be able to pursue my love of music.”
- “I’m thankful to all the people who have supported my music making.”